First off, make sure you're using the SmartThings Classic app, and not the newest SmartThings app. SmartThings has been updating their platform and is currently transitioning between the two apps. Even though SmartThings Classic is the older version, you'll need Classic to add the Smart Plug correctly and enjoy full, seamless functionality. The new app isn't complete and isn't fully compatible with most devices. So if you happen to be using the new app, try downloading the SmartThings Classic app and including the device again.
If you have SmartThings Classic, then you're ready for the most common troubleshoot of all: simply try excluding the device! Even if your Smart Plug was never successfully included to SmartThings, exclusion acts as a kind of reset. We find it helps with a host of inclusion and configuration issues. Here are the step-by-step instructions showing how to exclude your Smart Plug on SmartThings:
1. Tap the menu icon in your SmartThings app
2. Tap Hub is online
3. Tap Z-Wave Utilities
4. Tap General Device Exclusion
5. The app will show this message: “Please follow the manufacturer’s instructions to remove the Z-Wave device from My SmartThings.” There will also be a spinning circle next to the message “Exclusion Mode Active”
6. On your Smart Plug, press and release the Z-Wave button 3 TIMES QUICKLY
7. The app will confirm device exclusion
8. Tap Done
Once exclusion is completed, try adding the Smart Plug again by clicking on Add Thing in your SmartThings app and pressing and releasing the Z-Wave button 3 times quickly once again.
If you're still seeing issues with the device after exclusion and re-inclusion, please reach out to us! Our team will be happy to help.